Title: GIS Research Data Analyst, PMA2020
Location: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
Performance Monitoring and Accountability 2020 (PMA2020) uses innovative mobile technology to support low-cost, rapid-turnaround household and facility surveys to monitor key indicators for family planning, water and sanitation, and other health areas. The project is led by the Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and implemented by local university and research organizations in 10 countries in Africa and Asia, deploying a cadre of local female data collectors trained in mobile-assisted data collection. PMA2020 establishes a sentinel data collection platform that transforms the way health survey data is collected and represents a platform that may be utilized for monitoring a range of health program areas in future modules.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Support spatial data management across all project countries and in Baltimore.
- Help provide technical assistance to an international data management team, including cleaning GPS data collected by data collectors, preparing GPS data for public use and research, creating maps, and preparing datasets for spatial analysis.
- May conduct international trainings on GIS data management, cleaning, displacement, and analysis with project partners and affiliates.
- Manage spatial datasets within ArcGIS or QGIS.
- Map datasets within ArcGIS, QGIS, Google, R, and/or Stata.
- Check quality of GPS data collected by fieldworkers.
- Aggregate cluster data to a centroid and displace coordinates using a fixed algorithm.
- Produce clean and consistent GPS datasets for public user download.
- Produce maps for dissemination and for reports.
- Build and export spatially integrated databases within ArcGIS in preparation for formal spatial statistical analysis.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline.
- Three years related experience. Master's may substitute for experience.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS.
- Able to work with inter-related databases.
- Knowledge of QGIS or other open source GIS platforms.
- Experience in spatial analysis and spatial statistics.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation or public health research projects.
- Experience conducting trainings or leading workshops.
- Computer programming skills, e.g. Python, Java, xml.
- Experience with statistical software Stata and/or R.
- Ability to speak and write technical/scientific French.